Let’s do this!

Posted November 24th, 2010 by s5

Yep, this is still going on. And it’s better than ever.

Click here for the original UnTurkey recipe, and check out our cooking notes to make sure it’s extra perfect.

Year five! Let’s do this!

10 Responses to “Let’s do this!”

I’ve been looking at your recipe for a couple years now, and scheduling has still not permitted making the actual UnTurkey. HOWEVER, last year I mixed up a batch of the seasoning, and it is AMAZING. Used it for our veggie roast and gravy at Thx and Xmas for two years running now. Taking a super batch of mushroom & onion gravy with the seasoning to a mixed dinner today, and I fully expect that this one will be gone before the turkey gravy (and I’m a graviholic). THANK YOU for doing this!

Posted by Kathleen on November 25th, 2010 at 10:06 am | Permalink |

Well, I just made our first ever Unturkey! It’s in the oven as I type this. I have never had the commercially prepared version, so I do not know what to expect, but I hope its good! As for the “yuba”, I found it labeled as “pure soya sheet” at an Asian market. I had to cut it in half so it would fit in my standard stock pot. Hardest part for me was to unfold the gluten, so I just cut it open.

Posted by Holly Shurtz on November 25th, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink |

Hi,
We used to work at Sundance Natural Foods in Eugene, Oregon years ago and the Un-turkey was always such a big hit. We found your site last year and decided that we’d make an Unturkey this year. In the past I always made my own version of tofurkey, and it was good, but it never tasted anything like the deliciousness of the Unturkey. I love seitan!
Two weeks ago we decided that wheat may not be a good choice for me, so we decided to do a gluten-free version that uses tofu. It just went in the oven, and we can post our variations if you think anyone might be interested in it.
I’ll post about how it turns out.
Thanks for keeping the site alive. I’ve recommended your site to several folks who are looking for an alternative to the Tofurky.

Amber and Chance in Oregon

Posted by Amber Dennis on November 25th, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink |

Hi Amber -

Definitely curious to know how the tofu version came out. Keep us posted!

Posted by s5 on November 25th, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink |

Thanks so much for keeping up this site. My family has enjoyed this recipe for the past three years and will for many more…

Posted by Sharon on November 25th, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Permalink |

So we made our Unturkey gluten-free. We have some ideas for how to do it better next year, but it was pretty darned good, and it beat my tried and true tofu roast from years past.

Instead of the gluten, we used three pounds of firm tofu. We mixed about 3/4c of the seasoning into it in a food processor until smooth. We took a colander and lined it with cheesecloth, then spread the tofu on the cheesecloth about an inch thick.
We folded over the cheesecloth and nested a bowl on top of the tofu – the idea is to press the moisture out. We only did this for an hour this year. Next year, we’ll do it the day before, because we didn’t get enough moisture out of it.The flavor was terrific but the tofu was a bit soft.

We made the dressing just like the unturkey recipe, except we used a one pound loaf of rice bread, toasted and cubed.

We used sheets of dried bean curd from the Chinese market down the street, but next time I’m going to get some unsweetened soy milk an make the yuba myself. The smell of it roasting was divine, but the yuba had a stale flavor that was disappointing.

All in all, though, we had a great time with it and we plan to do it again with improvements next month for the winter holidays. We’ll let you know how it goes.
Amber & Chance

Posted by Amber on November 25th, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Permalink |

Hello–

I am planning on making the Unturkey for Christmas dinner this year. I was wondering if it can be made in advance and if so, how far in advance. The day before? Or only hours before? I am not sure if my schedule will allot time on the day OF Christmas (amongst other cooking projects), so if I made it and stuffed it and shaped it (that sounds lovely) could I keep it in the fridge until it was time to bake on Christmas day? Thanks for the help!

Posted by T-Wo on December 6th, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink |

Oh, yes. And if I am able to make it the day before, do I bring it to room temp before putting it in the oven? And one more question… :) How much/how big does the regular recipe make? I saw the pics and that thing looks huge!!

Posted by T-Wo on December 6th, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink |

Hi T-Wo. We’ve made this for xmas dinner two years in a row now and this will be our third. We make a half batch (with twice the yeast seasoning). In answer to both questions it always lasts in our fridge for at least a week after xmas day and is eaten as leftovers for most of the week (we then go gluten free for all of January!) so a half batch should be plenty for a small family especially if you make a lot of sides like we do and yes you should be able to make it up to a week in advance with maybe an hour left on the cooking time and then just just reheat/finish it in the oven.

Posted by Denerose on December 23rd, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink |

Any chance y’all will compile the recipes w/the adjustments you’ve made for one complete thing? I want to make this, but I’m daunted by trying to put all the recipes and notes together!

love and hugs